1 cup coconut cream from 2 cans of chilled, full-fat coconut milk
Pinch of salt
12 Granny Smith apples
Popsicle sticks or cake pop sticks
Optional toppings: sprinkles, candy corn, shaved coconut,
1. Set a medium saucepan over medium heat and combine honey, coconut cream and salt, stirring to combine.
2. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan and cook until the mixture reaches 240°F. Remove from heat and allow to cool to under 200°F before dipping the apples (it’s easier to coat the apples once the caramel has cooled slightly).
3. While caramel is cooking, thoroughly wash and dry the apples to remove any dirt or waxy residue and place a popsicle/cake pop stick in each apple. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper so you can easily move the apples to the fridge to cool more quickly.
4. When caramel is ready, dip and swirl the apples to fully coat, decorate with any sprinkles or toppings (don’t dip into other chocolate, yet), place on prepared baking sheet and move the entire baking sheet to the fridge to cool and harden. Give them at least 2 hours to fully harden before adding additional toppings to create the gourmet caramel apples listed below!
Directions for Gourmet Caramel Apples:
1. Apple Pie Caramel Apples: Dip caramel apples in melted white chocolate and roll in a mixture of crushed graham crackers, nutmeg and cinnamon (or apple pie spice!)
2. Oreo Caramel Apples: Dip caramel apple in melted chocolate and roll in crushed Oreo cookies.
3. Rocky Road Caramel Apples: Dip caramel apple in chocolate, roll in mini marshmallows and chopped nuts, then drizzle with white chocolate
4. Salted Caramel Pretzel Apples: Dip caramel apple in melted chocolate then roll in crushed pretzels.