For the Chocolate Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened (not melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, separated
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the Vanilla & Chocolate Filling:
1/2 cup powdered sugar, or place Madhava Natural Sweeteners Organic Coconut Sugar in a food processor and pulse until powdered
1 tablespoon butter, softened (not melted)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Splash of milk (add this a little at a time to reach a frosting-like consistency)
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer add organic coconut sugar, butter, and vanilla, and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk until smooth. Add flour and cocoa, and mix until just combined. Cover and chill 1-2 hours.
2. When dough is firm, preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Beat the egg white, then dip dough balls in the egg white, roll in chopped nuts and arrange on the lined baking sheet.
4. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie, then bake for 7-10 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add milk a little at a time, mixing to combine, until the mixture reaches a frosting-like consistency.
6. While cookies are still warm, drop a 1/4 teaspoon of the frosting mixture into each indentation and gently press a chocolate candy in the center. Allow to cool fully before serving.