1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tablespoon butter
4 cups of thinly sliced apples
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup Madhava Natural Sweeteners Organic Maple Cinnamon Pancake Syrup plus extra for serving
whipped cream for garnish
1. Lightly mix the two flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl.
2. Combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and applesauce, stirring with a whisk.
3. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until blended.
4. Preheat a waffle iron. Coat iron with cooking spray. Spoon about ¼ cup batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron (or appropriate amount depending on your waffle maker) , spreading batter to edges. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.
5. To make warm apples, melt butter on medium heat in a large non stick skillet. Add apples to the pan and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Cook on low for about 8 minutes or until apples are soft but still hold their shape. Add ⅓ cup Madhava Organic Maple Cinnamon Agave Pancake Syrup and mix well. Heat for another minute or two or until mixture is bubbling.
6. Serve the waffles with the warm apples and topped with more syrup and whipped cream if desired.
This recipe was brought to us by Jersey Girl Cooks